Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Synthesis

When I chose to research and complete my poetry project on the works of Gwendolyn Brooks, the only poem I knew by her was "We Real Cool." It was a poem that I read for the first time in fourth grade, and have never forgotten. Something about it stuck with me, and whether it was the subject matter, jarring enjambment, or possibly the intentionally awful grammar, the repetitive "We,"  always seemed to echo in my head every time poetry was discussed in school there on out. I think that echoing is the essence of Gwendolyn Brooks and her poetry. The power of her poetry is the kind one cannot forget.

An African American poet, much of Brooks' work focuses on issues faced by African Americans, mainly those in poor, urban communities. Her writing is so effective because she skillfully pairs different literary techniques to further communicate the troubling yet powerful subject matter. Examples of this are in "Kitchenette Building," which focuses on the disillusionment of the "American Dream." To effectively communicate her point she uses devices sensory imagery and metaphor. "The Mother," speaks of the typically unaddressed issues of abortion-- the guilt and lamentations the would have been mother faces. Like many of her poems, Brooks uses repitition in "The Mother." Another device Brooks often uses is rhyme schemes, though they are not usually regular.

Brooks poems are approachable and about the struggles of common people, which I believe is why she is so popular. Her vocabulary is not inaccessible, or her syntax unaproachable. Her poetry and intent manifest in the way that good poetry should: when reading her poems I would get a feeling, they evoked a certain emotion in me, though I was not totally sure why. After multiple reads, I was able to pick up on certain elements, her comparison of a dream to an onion, specific instances of poverty, little things that made her poems so tangible, powerful and emotional. Brooks speaks to one's subconcious before they can even recognize it.

10 comments:

  1. I had not heard of Gwendolyn Brooks before I read your synthesis, and I can say now that I have a very good understanding of her poetry and influence on poetry and culture. I think I remember the poem from fourth grade though.
    She seems like a poet with something to say who does not play with indirect ways of saying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooks’ poems seem to dwell on topic matters and societal issues that are widespread. Her language and syntax are still easy to understand and therefore make the reading of her poems easier and more accessible to a wide audience. I agree with Sarah in that Brooks’ poems require a deep understanding and submerge into your subconscious without you realizing it. Great synthesis Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that Brooks was the author of "We Real Cool!" I was skimming through the Norton a while ago looking for a poem and came across it. I still haven't forgotten it either. It's so short with such simple diction, but its message is so powerful and relevant, especially to school-age kids. The tone in this one poem tied with the diction is such that it even sounds as though it is coming from a kid who thinks disobeying standards makes him "real cool." Brooks is certainly a poet with a great deal of complex perceptions of a variety of social and personal issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had only known Brooks form "We Real Cool." That is a poem that I have remembered since elementary school. I think it is because it is easy to retain. Also it is almost humerous on how the words slur together and slowly drift away. Until reading your blog I was not aware of her other African American poetry. This just demonstrates how crucial a person's upbringing and background is because it shapes their thoughts, emotions, and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also had only known Brooks from her poem "We Real Cool". I do not remember it from fourth grade, but I do remember seeing it in the poetry packet that we got for Portrait. I remember being struck by both the delibrately poor grammar, and the message presented through the medium of a biased narrator. It is an extremely interesting and distinctive poem. Though I have never been in a gang or known anyone who is, I felt that I could understand the poem and the speaker quite well. This is the mark of an extremely talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Katie said, an extremely talented writer is one who can convey messages and emotions to those who haven't naturally experienced them in life. The beauty of especially moving poetry is that it evokes emotions regarding certain life experiences that I haven't necessarily experienced. And yet, the author is able to make me feel like I actually know how one would feel. It is impossible for every human to experience every single situation, and thus it is the job of writers to convey to us those experiences we don't have the opportunity to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think one of the most profound effects a poem can have is one that cannot be erased from memory. The fact that such a poem has stuck with you for so many years proves that she is not only a great poet, but an inspiring one. I find it hard to relate to her writings of African urban areas since I don't belong to any of that but many thematic elements are universal. Also, a title like "We Real Cool" really draws me in. It makes me curious to read the poem and what it's about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading this poets work. While i found it hard to entirely relate to her greater purposes, the poetry's emotional effect still captured me. The style was personal and evoked emotion from me. In addition i just found the overall storyline of her poems to be appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gwendolen Brooks use of emotion in her poetry helps to convey her message, especially those relating to African American issues, as you said. While "We Real Cool" was striking and memorable, the poem that interested me the most was "The Mother". The imagery and diction used in that poem was haunting, especially the last two lines: "Believe me, I knew you, though faintly, and I loved, I loved you/ All."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brooks seems like she is a straight shooter by addressing hot and touchy topics such as abortion and the illusion of the American Dream. This poem likes to speak right at the blue collar American and not embellish with fancy language true unbiased hardships. Also Sara it is impressive that a specific poem you can recollect back from fourth grade. This not only speaks to the strength of your memory but also the ability for Brooks to write with simple syntax and also paint a vivid picture of societal issues in lamens terms.

    ReplyDelete